Thursday, January 27, 2011

Dinosaurs

In college I met a weird kid named Vinod who, knowing I'd been born in the Soviet Union, would interrogate me endlessly about all of the Russian writers I hadn't read and the Russian composers I'd never listened to. I've read lots of Russian writers since, but of course I've lost touch with Vinod and can't give him my opinions now.

Over the weekend I was going through some things, and I found this fantastic box of dinosaurs he gave me when he graduated.
There was a time when all you had to do was mention Vinod's name to get a good conversation going about his many marvelous oddities. Now, only a few far-flung friends remember him, and I never hear his name. All I have left of him are these dinosaurs and the soundtrack to A Clockwork Orange, which I either borrowed or stole from him. I don't remember. Henceforth I will refer to these dinosaurs as Vinod's Legacy.

3 comments:

  1. Yulia, you do realize that Vinod was my roommate during my sophomore year right? Of all the odd people who lived at the creative arts house, he was certainly among the oddest. I did hear through the grapevine that he went on to study avian biomechanics at Harvard (not a joke). Those dinosaurs are awesome, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yula- I too remember fondly the oddity of Vinod. The first time I met him was at a dance party early in my OWU career. I believe he was dressed as the karate kid. I also believe it was not a costume party. Expect tangible mail soon! Perhaps it will arrive on lemon scented paper?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember Vinod! Actually, not too long ago I was telling someone the story of him driving Maggie and me to a birthday party for Jerome. It was one of the most terrifying experiences I have ever had in a car. He should have stuck to the bike riding! I imagine this is a story that would have you cackling with joy, and I am ok with that.

    ReplyDelete